Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Relief Society Lesson
I was asked to teach a lesson in Relief Society at the end of March. They asked me at the end of February and you better believe I was having anxiety about it for 4 weeks and could barely function! I don't like speaking in public and even more than that I don't like teaching to women older than me by a long shot. The lesson was Love and Law by Dallin H Oaks. It was a very complicated lesson for me to teach because a lot of it was on parenting wayward children. I am a parent, but the most wayward Joe has been in his short life of 3 years has been on not eating what we want him to :) I felt a huge amount of inadequacy. I emailed the women I look up to the most in my life, my mom, Chelsea, Steve's mom and my sister in law Julie. My visiting teaching companion read it and gave me some great insight. I surfed friends blogs, paid attention to everything a little closer, and probably lost 5 years off of my life. The weekend of, since I wait until last minute, I had finally settled on my dessert, handout and how I wanted to dress the table. My friend, Chantelle, came to my rescue and since she pretty much laughs through everything she was a great reassurance. The night before we went to her mom's house and for a little background on her, here I go. She's an interior designer and every room in her house looked like a gallery room for Thomasville furniture with the big poofy pillows and bedding and rich dark colors. Her garage, I feel comfortable calling, Michaels or Hobby Lobby. She made me my flower arrangement on the spot and lent me tablecloths, frames, and flowers. Chantelle and I went home made 60 chocolate dipped strawberries and 120 chocolate dipped pretzels. We were up until 1 and she was back at my place at 8 with a Dr Pepper, ready to finish my handouts. She wrote my favorite scripture on little cards and we attached them to the baggies. We were done at 12:15 when I had to shower and get ready for church at 1. I pretty much loved it and learned so much from the lesson. Isn't that the way it always is? The teacher learns the most, or needs the lesson the most!
Posted by
Jen.Steve.Joe
at
12:52 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment