Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tuesday Tell All...The Working Girl

Well, I first worked in high school for my parents at Thomasville Home Furnishings. It was pretty much whenever they needed a little extra help with fabrics, inventory, or answering phones. I love working for them if I go to Valencia! My job was pretty simple and most of the time, it was just an excuse to be with my parents. My favorite bit of work there happened at not the best time. My dad had to have an emergency back surgery and as unfortunate as it was, I got to take over his job for about a week. It was soooo fun! I got to do commission reports and record daily sales. When pay checks came out, a couple people obviously double checked their pay checks since a young girl had done all the math and complained to my dad that I had done some things wrong. Like a professional business woman :), I called them into the office with my dad and went over their commission reports. I had not made one mistake! Not only did they apologize to my dad, but to me too! I can be a pretty smart cookie!
My first "real job" was a pretty humbling experience. A roommate of mine in college was a manager at a McDonald's and needed help in the labor department. A few of us said we would help her out and work a couple days...I was the only one who pulled through! I only worked the cash register and boy my parents were proud. I remember them coming up on a vacation and coming in to get breakfast. My mom seriously wanted to take a picture and Chelsea was like, let's get the heck out of here! Needless to say, it opened up my work ethic!
My next job was Hollister in Salt Lake at the Gateway. I enjoyed it and I know some of you are thinking it's an annoying store because the music is soooo loud, but one day the stereo's weren't working and I was dying for the music to come back on! I was sick of listening to 10 different phone conversations of junior high and high school girls! I know, sometimes the music is overwhelming, but random strangers phone conversations are annoying!
I worked at a childrens store called Little Things Mean A Lot. Such cute clothes, I stocked up before hand, but they were so expensive and now that I know how fast babies go through clothes I will not spend a lot! I loved working with older little grandmas!
I worked at Lincoln Academy as a teaching assistant in kindergarten for a year and a half. It was a great experience and I got to teach without the degree so it was perfect, but I think it's annoying that the teaching assistants got paid so much less than the teachers, because besides the training conferences and portfolio writing, we did the same things & worked just as hard. Kindergarten is a fun age, but I am loving not working anymore!
On the side I've taught piano and tutored and that was the easiest money I've made!

3 comments:

LACY said...

Wow gotta love working! Way to go working with your dad, love that! :)

Kera said...

way to go working girl. I wish I was that talented!
I had to laugh when you said your sister was embarrassed you were working at Mickey D's !!! thats class :)

Ence's said...

I know you were thinking of me when you wrote about the music at Hollister. :) Wow, I can tell I am getting older.