Saturday, October 30, 2010

Make A Wish Train Ride

Now that I am in YW, I get to do everything that the YW do. Yay! :) Never knew how much they actually did. Long story short, Make a Wish, Primary Children's, Big Brother Big Sister, and wards of the state get to go on this 3 hour round trip train ride and our ward's YW serve the snacks, drinks, and fruit during the train ride. The night before we went down and loaded the trains and the girls got to decorate their cars. The train cars were super nice. I knew Joe would probably never get to ride a train like this so what did I do? I woke him up at 4:30 am to go with me. We stopped at a Circle K at 5 to get me a Dr. Pepper and him a bag of powdered donuts and I'm sure the worker thought, does this lady know it's still dark outside and she has a toddler with her?! Here he is ready to get going!
One of the double decker cars
He was quite the little helper getting the goody bags together.
One of my favs, Sedona. We probably would have been great friends in junior high seeing as we can be a little too honest, sarcastic and our bangs fall into our face. She constantly holds hers though so I always think she is on the phone.
Shea got spiderman painted on her face on the ride over to get the kids, somewhere between 8:30 and 9
Saying Joe has a crush on Shea would be an understatement. She played with him, let him color in her superhero coloring book and kept him out of trouble all day. Sedona and Rachel also kept him occupied when we weren't walking the trains. Imagine people walking the whole time through narrow walkways...almost impossible
Ready for the kids to come on in our green shirts, they were hideous :) I waited until the last possible minute to put mine on because I'm a really good example!
Getting some energy out before the people got on...Every group was told they could bring 75, one brought 130. There was not an open seat! Joe and I needed some fresh air after the ride.
My favorite family. This family was here with the Make a Wish program. Their little daughter had some type of leukemia (the one in the front middle) They were so sweet and I'm glad they got to ride in our car.
Joe loves helping and loves cleaning. He cleaned up afterwards better than some of the girls did!
Rachel, Shea, Emily (Rachel's sister) and me slacking because our car was done.
Joe wanted his face to be painted like Iron Man, but somehow it ended up like Wolverine and he loved his balloon snake.
All the girls and us afterward. 4:30 to 3= exhaustion. Joe fell asleep before we were out of the parking lot. He did so good! I'm glad we got to go together!

2 comments:

BRIAN+SHELBIE CLEMENT said...

So fun. Looks like I missed out. I probably would have looked even more hideous in the green shirt with a big ol' belly. I just love your honestly, Jen.

Kristen said...

so fun and that is so cool you took joe with you! ah, young women's. . . it is alot for me right now, i must admit. i don't know if it's being pregnant or that that's making me feel so exhausted all the time!!! :) miss you!