Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Joe's Prizes

Long story...Joe is now 2 years old and some change and we got him to sleep in his own bed and through the night! Woo hoo! For anyone who is thinking of judging, please don't and listen to some reasons of why this has taken so long. #1 When he was born in Provo, he did have his own room but he was super colicky and so when we could get him to sleep we did and let him sleep wherever he would sleep the longest...in our bed....Having a colicky baby was soooo hard during RSV season because we couldn't go out, Steve was in his last semester of school, and o did I mention colic is so not fun! #2 We moved to San Francisco and decided we weren't going to pay at least $700 extra for a bedroom for our 7 month old.We tried moving him when he was asleep, the crying thing which I don't do well with, and letting him sleep on the couch which he actually did for awhile. We did try putting his crib in our walk in closet which worked for not very long. It was a little walk in closet and I wouldn't have liked being smooshed in there either, so #3 we got to Arizona decided Joe needed his own room and a big boy bed since he never like his crib and wah la. We made his room a fun place for him which I will hopefully post pictures of soon, it is a cute little cowboy room and started trying to get him on a routine. The deal is he has to sleep in his bed for his whole nap and his whole night time sleep and he will get 2 stickers for the day. Who thought anyone would be so excited for stickers and a small prize at the end of the week!? Our sweetie! He told his dad ALL about his chart the first day and is so proud of himself when he comes to tell me he's awake to get his sticker. For the last week and a half, Steve & I have been sitting in his room reading while he goes to sleep. It's been a super nice release for me to get some time because I love to read and we have been getting him comfortable with the dark, knowing we aren't leaving, etc etc. Well for the last few nights we have been super tired so we have either gone to bed or hurried and done some stuff around the apartment while he is going to sleep and he has gone to sleep by himself! I am super proud of him! A little bit of me misses cuddling and snuggling but I am able to get some more stuff done.

We went to Wal Mart and I totally forgot he needed a prize and we saw these squirt guns. We got 1 for me, Joe and Steve and I told Joe we would have a fight when daddy got home. We watched American Idol finale (Tuesday,loved it) and then as we were going to the pool to have our fight, Steve got a call from someone in the ward (he just got called as the Executive Secretary so I guess he will be getting a good number of these), and we had to share him. Joe was so patient for an hour and a half while we waited for Steve to get back. We only had 20 minutes at the pool and then the boys continued their fight in the bath. Steve is such a good dad to come home after a 12 hour work day, entertain Joe, go serve, play, wrestle, and swim with Joe and the get him ready for bed. I really really appreciate it! Joe is a crazy boy when his dad gets home and I love it! It was soooo enjoyable seeing him so happy! I love him so much, he is such a fun little boy and I have loved this stage of learning to talk and show more personality.
*He is into singing these songs right now: I Am A Child of God, Once There Was A Snowman, I Am Like A Star, Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam, You Are My Sunshine, If You Are Happy, Hurry Hurry Drive That Fire Truck, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, and The Wise and Foolish Man
*Some of my favorite sayings right now: Waking me up from a nap and he is in my face-time to get uPPPppp, Joe why did you do that? (take his shoelaces out, why he wants to go shopping, anything)-because I love you, to his daddy whenever he talks to him-daddy please come over now, to his horse Patches in his room-hi Patches, mommy Patches is hungry he needs some cereal, in the car-mommy its soooo bright I need sunglasses right now, mommy I need some armpit (deodorant), trying on shoes at Target-ooo sweeeet I like em, during Sacrament he lays on Steve's lap and I hear him silently singing-What's gonna work? Teamwork What's gonna work? Teamwork-yes we love Wonder Pets at our house
Joe you are the sweetest little thing and we just love you to pieces!

3 comments:

Hillary said...

Oh we miss our joe and jen. So glad to hear he's sleeping through the night! I wish I could bribe William too!

Chelsea and Ben said...

Joe is the cutest and most hilarious little boy I know! He needs to come to Texas to see his aunt Chels xoxo

Sue said...

I think at times he looks like his Mamma and then he looks nothing like you Jen, he is all Steve with blonde hair, and yes Chelsea, he is the cutest!
Love you, Mom xoxoxox