Monday, March 30, 2009

So brave...

At the beginning of the month, didn't I say no more sedation?! Well I just didn't want to think about the eye surgery Joe had scheduled for the end of the month.
Joe was born with a strabismus in his right eye, which means 1 of the 6 muscles in his eye was super strong and it would pull his eye towards the middle, almost looking cross eyed. He was probably seeing double and to try and correct it himself he would tilt his neck. I've always noticed the tilt, but started noticing the eye more about a year ago. I got it checked in San Francisco, but quite frankly I didn't like the doctor and didn't want her operating on my son's eye. When we got here, I got it checked, Steve & I both felt confident with the doctor & he said it was pretty important that we got it done soon.

We took him in at 6:45 on Friday morning and at 8:45 we finally went in to meet with the doctor. I really do not like the whole hospital thing and every time a doctor walked past Joe would run and jump into one of our laps. The nurse came and got him, so sad! The surgery only took 30 minutes and a nurse came out and said, "your son is fine, he just must really like sleeping because he hasn't woken up yet." Yes, we know that from the dentist appointment where he was snoring for 45 minutes after!

He woke up and we went and got to see him. The nurse asked him if he liked stickers and he said, "a lot...I like apple juice." The poor boy was soooo thirsty from not having anything to drink for 12 hours! We got him some apple juice, stickers, and got the iv's out and brought him home. He really wanted to wear his dad's sunglasses on the way home because it was so bright. His eye looks completely normal and if anything it rarely looks like the corner of it is bloodshot. He seems to be healing good and I haven't seen the little tilt since.
Thanks to all our sweet friends and family, the amount of texts and phone calls were amazing and so comforting.


8 comments:

Ang said...

So glad to see he's doing well! What a trooper! (you too - I can't imagine watching Jack go through that!!!)

Amber said...

Im so glad things we smoothly. There is nothing scarier than a loved one being in surgery!

Belinda Oborn said...

I'm so glad everything went well with Baby Joe's surgery. Come visit soon!

The Norris Family said...

Such A love! give him a kiss from us!

Brady Fam said...

Phew! How nerve-wracking to watch him go through that. Tough boy!

The Price Family said...

That's weird, I totally left a comment the other day and it's not here...sucky! Well, I'm SO glad his surgery went well and he's recovering just fine! Poor guy, that is a long time to go without a drink! Good thing it was only a 30 minute surgery...mommy mode would have made me have an anxiety attack just waiting. I'm sure you were more nervous than he was! BTW, I was wondering if you and Steve have plans for Easter dinner...if you'll be in town you guys should come over!

LACY said...

What a little cutie, so brave! It was fun to see you. I keep forgetting that you live so close now, well closer. Hope you enjoyed your time away!

Sophia said...

Wow I can't imagine watching my boys go through anything like that! Glad to see he's doing good! I hope Arizona is treating you good!